We all know that not getting enough sleep can cause many different problems for us. We know that lack of sleep can cause us to be fatigued throughout the day, have slower coordination and thinking skills, experience lower immune systems, and just be in a bad mood. There are numerous problems related to lack of sleep. However, this does not mean that you should get as much sleep as possible. In fact, sleeping too much can actually be detrimental to your health. Many people do not realize this, but there have actually been numerous studies that have shown that too much sleep is worse than not enough sleep.
Getting the Answers about Sleeping too Much
How much sleep should I get? While the notion that everyone needs eight hours sleep is not necessarily true, there is a time frame that experts recommend. It is suggested that you need between six and eight hours sleep each night. This means you should get no less than six hours sleep and no more than eight. If you are out of this frame, then you will need to change your sleep habits.
Do naps count toward my nightly sleep? Naps do not count because you need a certain amount of uninterrupted sleep for true rest. However, sleeping too much during the day can greatly disrupt your sleep patterns, which can adversely affect you. It is recommended that you sleep no more than 30 minutes each day if you feel that you need a nap.
Learning how to Get Less Sleep
When I realize I am sleeping too much, what do I do? Just as you can adjust your patterns in order to get more sleep, you can adjust them to get less sleep as well. Here are a few of the things that you will need to do in order to make sure you are not sleeping too much.
- Establish proper sleeping habits by going to bed and waking up at the same time each day. You should do this on the weekends even though it may be tempting to sleep late on weekend mornings.
- Avoid sleeping pills because these medications will often have the adverse effect of making you drowsy for too long. If you can, do not take these pills and find alternative ways to get enough sleep.
- Make sure you sleep is restful so your body will not need more sleep. You can do this by creating a quiet, cool, dark environment in which to sleep so that you will not wake up during the night. Also avoid alcohol in the evenings since it can make you wake up more as well.
Sleeping too Much is Harmful
How will sleeping too much be bad for me? Many people just cannot comprehend that getting extra sleep is dangerous; however, there are numerous medical problems that are proven to arise from this. Here are some of the things that can happen to you if you chronically sleep too much.
- When you sleep, your body releases Serotonin so that your brain can shut down. When you get too much sleep and too much of this chemical is released, it will actually cause you to have headaches during the day.
- One problem that can arise from sleeping too much or not sleeping enough is depression. Many people suffer mood problems and depression when they are getting more sleep than they need each night.
- More and more studies are showing that there is a direct link between getting too much sleep and obesity. This means, if you want to lose weight and keep that weight lost, then you need to avoid the extra sleep.
- There has also been a link shown between diabetes and sleep problems. In fact, if you are sleeping too much or not getting enough sleep, your risk of developing diabetes increases immensely.
- People are sleeping too much at night are also at a greater risk of heart disease which can lead to death.