Have you ever noticed that when you need a good night’s sleep the most can be the time when you just cannot seem to get to sleep? There so many reasons that you may not be able to get enough sleep each night, and so many of those reasons can be hard to control. Often, it may seem like you are fighting a losing battle against sleeping well. The only problem is, when you are not getting enough sleep and you do start to lose that battle, you can definitely suffer the negative effects of it.
Our bodies are made to need a certain amount of sleep. It is not longer established that we all need eight hours sleep each night; however, most experts will agree that you need no less than six hours of sleep and no more than ten hours of sleep. If you are not getting the rest you need, then it could be affecting you badly enough to harm your quality of life.
If you have not been getting enough sleep, then you need to take action now before you are too exhausted to do anything about it. Some sounds can keep you from resting well while others can actually enhance your ability to go to sleep and stay asleep. The key to your night’s sleep is discerning from the two.
What Sleep Sounds Can Harm Your Rest?
To start with, think about the ambient noise that you hear at night. If you are lucky, then you may not have much to contend with. However, most people have to face some sounds that could disrupt their sleep. You may not even realize they are being disruptive, but they could be causing your to not rest properly. Here are some of the sleep sounds that could be harming your rest each evening.
- Barking dogs or other animals
- Traffic from the highway
- Air conditioning units or heaters
- Roommates or neighbors
- Machinery being used at night
- Low battery warnings on fire alarms or other equipment
- Music from the radio or the television being left on
Of course, some of them can be stopped if you make changes in how you go to sleep. Some of them cannot be in your control. These sounds may be something you continue to have to deal with, but you can take steps like making use of helpful sleep sounds to drown out the negative ones.
What Sleep Sounds Can Help Your Rest?
Many people have found that the right ambient sounds can be quite helpful in allowing their mind to relax so that they can get to sleep. Additionally, these sleep sounds can be helpful in order to drown out any ambient noises that are interrupting your rest. There are many options from which you can choose, and you may find that choosing the right sleep sounds could be a trial and error process until you find the one that works for you.
Here are some of the options that you may wish to consider.
- Ambient sounds like ocean waves, rain, babbling streams or even thunder. There are machines that are designed to produce these sleep sounds in order to help you relax. These sounds are very good if you are simply looking for something in the background to soothe your mind.
- Classical music or other easy listening music. When you choose music for your sleep sounds, it is vital that you choose the right music. It should be soft and smooth. Any music with harsh sounds like drums or electric guitar could actually interrupt your sleep. If you would like to use music, look for CDs that are designed specifically for sleeping.
- White noise. When you need to drown out the sounds that are disrupting your sleep, then this could be the right option. White noises, which is very similar to what you hear when there is snow on the television screen, actually has the capability of muting other sounds. There are sleep machines that are designed to produce this noise. You may wish to place this machine close to your door or as close as you can to the disruptive sleep sounds.
All of these options can have a very positive effect on your sleeping. Of course, they can help you with going to sleep at night, but they can also help you with staying asleep through the night.
When you are not getting enough sleep, you will need to evaluate the sounds you are hearing. Some of these sleep sounds could have a detrimental effect on you while others can help you a great deal. Making sure you are hearing the right sleep sounds can be very helpful to your restful night’s sleep.