Sleep apnea pillow is an innovative treatment for sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a condition in which people experience difficulty in breathing or literally stop breathing for some intervals while they are sleeping. This condition has been affecting a great number of people for the past few years, and the numbers keep on increasing.
A sleep apnea pillow is aimed at reducing or stopping the chances of people snoring in their sleep. Studies prove that people snore more when they sleep on their backs. These specially designed pillows help people sleep on their sides and avoid breathing obstructions in the airways.
Finding the right and suitable treatment for sleep apnea can be a difficult thing to do, as there are many different types of sleep disorders which usually have similar symptoms. So, pinpointing the actual disorder one is suffering from, and then selecting a treatment for it can be difficult.
Finding the Right Sleep Apnea Pillow
With such a vast variety of products in the market, finding the distinctive sleep apnea pillow to use can be quite difficult. Here are some important things to consider when selecting one:
- People should make sure that the pillow can support the neck area, allowing free movement of the neck so that the tongue does not obstruct the airway.
- A good sleep apnea pillow helps in restricting positions that may be harmful while a patient sleeps. It stops patients from rolling onto their backs, which can intensify their chances of snoring in their sleep.
- An apnea pillow should ease the pressure from the arms and shoulder of the patients, by nestling their heads comfortably.
Sleep apnea pillows have detailed forms, which are slightly lifted at the top. They keep the patients head lifted and reduce the possibility of obstructed airways. This makes them a safely considerable treatment for sleep apnea. Since sleep apnea pillows are so comfortable to use, they are considered as ideal pillows for everyone. That is, even people not suffering of sleep apnea should consider using them. However, regardless of comfort, people should always consult a doctor before using them.
The good thing about sleep apnea pillows is that they can be adjusted according to the users comfort. They can be held at suitable positions to support the spine in staying straight. In the case of patients that use a CPAP machine, a sleep apnea pillow stops the apparatus from coming apart in the middle of the night. This helps patients sleep better and get the required rest to keep them energized. Using sleep apnea pillows proves to be very beneficial for people suffering of sleep apnea.
Sleep Apnea Pillow – How It Works
Sleep apnea develops in people when air is not able to move into the lungs while they sleep. There are a number of possible causes that lead to the development of this potentially serious sleep disorder. However, many of these causes are treatable and preventable.
Using a sleep apnea pillow is one of the easiest and quickest solutions to raise the neck and head to a higher level, which reduces the pressure in the throat and soft palette. Many people try to do this by using normal pillows, by keeping them propped up on the sofa or by a wall. However, doing this instead results in folding the body at the diaphragm, which makes it even harder to breathe. The gradual slope of sleep apnea pillows works in two ways:
- They raise the head and reduce the pressure in the throat and sinus.
- Because of their length, they gently raise the body upwards, ensuring easy and unrestricted breathing.
Sleep Apnea Pillow – Kinds of Products in the Market
- Arc4Life Cervical Traction Pillow – Primarily designed as an orthopedic pillow, it is also used as a great remedy to help snoring and sleep apnea.
- Tri-Core Orthopedic Support Pillow – Greatly reduces snoring by aligning the neck and head in such a way to allow unobstructed airflow through the airways. It can be used by both side sleepers and back sleepers.
- Therapeutica Sleeping Pillow – This is designed to keep the spine and body aligned while people sleep. The alignment helps in reducing snoring and keeps the airways open and unobstructed.
- Sleepright Side Sleeping Pillow – This is a pillow made of foam, and is designed to give a full facial cradle. This reduces the ear and jaw pressure points. It also helps in increasing the blood flow to the facial dermal cells. It has a shoulder cradle that reduces the impact of the body weight on the shoulders, which also increases the blood flow in the arms.
- Snore-No-More Pillow – This is a hypo-allergenic pillow, having a cut-out shoulder which facilitates sleeping on the sides. It helps in aligning the neck and head to keep the airways unobstructed.
It should be noted that apnea pillows may work for some people, but not for others, due to their varying situations. Nonetheless, trying a sleep apnea pillow will definitely be worthwhile.